Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Aloha from Kauai!

OK, obviously, I haven’t been able to post as much as I’d thought while on our  Hawaiian vacation. Both islands are beautiful but Kauai particularly so! What a beautiful spot. I have been drawing ceaselessly on this trip and have filled more than half a sketch book with drawings. I have also taken many, many photos for painting reference. I’m sure I have materials for thousands of paintings and we’re not done yet! :-) Due to time constraints about internet access, I’ve decided to wait until I’m home to post the majority of my sketches. But I just couldn’t resist posting this one. It’s a sketch of the fabulous Kilauea lighthouse and a photo of Matt and I, with drawing, at the spot where I drew the sketch. Really fun!

Matt and I at the Kilauea Lighthouse overlook
Sketch of the lighthouse from the overlook

PS. I love the fast sketching. It is so very freeing! I'm already starting to reach for my pencil BEFORE my camera. AMAZING! So far I have done one value study in watercolor following a fast sketch done on site. It's a great process and I can't wait to do more of it from sketches and photos when I get home. *weee!*

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Alex! :-) I just got home and can't wait to post more sketches. I filled 3/4 of a whole sketchbook!

    ReplyDelete