Thursday, October 21, 2010

Three Leaves

I seemed to have had something of an intense artistic processing period over the past few days. This means that I haven’t done any art at all for the past few days. :-(

Last night I felt ready to get my tools back out and start painting again. My subject was three bright leaves I had picked up a few days earlier while out at brunch. Such lovely colors! In painting them I was able to give my Cadmiums a good workout along with some other new arrivals like the Rose Madder Genuine and Naphthamide Maroon. I have to say that both these new colors were totally worth the money! Although the photo I took doesn’t show it clearly, the shadows are a mixture of Rose Madder Genuine, Cobalt Blue, and Cadmium Yellow Light. I was completely delighted by the elegant neutrals they created together. Rose Madder Genuine is now definitely part of my palette. No doubt about it! 

"Three Leaves" - watercolor

12 comments:

  1. Very nice leaves. Your shadows are great in helping the 3-D effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're very beautiful - delicate and colorful! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours, what brand of watercolours are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your leaves are so beautiful...I just love fall, it makes me happy. Glad you're over the art processing (aka:block) I've been frozen in block mode for over a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous studies, the leaves look real!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your kind comments everyone! :-) I used to do a lot of triomphe l'oeil paintings and this piece reminded me how much I used to enjoy doing them.

    Cathy: Except for the Davy's Gray (Winsor Newton) all the rest are Daniel Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're beautiful, and very realistic! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, Sara these are positively gorgeous!

    (Hate to be the spoiler, but are you aware that Rose Madder Genuine is HIGHLY fugitive?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Laure! :-)

    And you're not a spoiler at all, just another painter who loves color. Yes. Sadly, I know that it's fugitive. *little tear* But it's just so darn beautiful in mixes! *sigh* Well, that's why we have Potters Pink. ;-)

    ReplyDelete