Sunday, June 1, 2014

Tuzigoot National Monument and Prescott Arizona

The Smoki Museum in Prescott, AZ

On Monday we decided to take a short driving trip to the south. We visited Tuzigoot National Monument, and the cities of Jerome and Prescott, AZ. I had been to them all before, years ago, but was eager to see the changing landscape. Although I had every intention of painting that day, the heat and a touchy stomach made the idea of sitting in the shade and sketching much more appealing.

My pen & ink drawing of a Tuzigoot wall

Tuzigoot National Monument
Tuzigoot is a 2- to 3-story pueblo ruin on the summit of a limestone and sandstone ridge above the Verde River floodplain. The natural stone of the walls is a fascinating subject for pen & ink and I enjoyed the challenge of capturing it.

Tuzigoot
After this it was on to Jerome and Prescott. In Prescott we visited the Smoki Museum of American Indian art and culture. What a great museum! The collection was stellar and the staff, knowledgeable. My favorite part was the Kachina collection. I have missed seeing Katchinas since moving to the Northwest. 
The museum's collection of Kachinas
was a highlight for me
.

No comments:

Post a Comment