Thursday, May 27, 2010

Experimenting with watercolor sticks and a new style – for me.

One thing that I LOVE about art is that it is so easy to be inspired by others’ works and then creating your own versions of what they have done. Recently, I have found my sketching style consistent, but not as inspiring as I’d like it to be. While on Flicker, I found two of Cathy Johnson’s recent sketches that were particularly inspiring to me. Both were essentially black & white bold brush & pen work, with watercolor tinting the background. I loved this approach wanted to try it for my next SIFF sketch.

Here is the sketch, using the Harvard Exit’s iconic ancient projector which stands in the lobby, as the focal point of the page. I can’t wait to try others in this style actually. I think it was really successful and am looking forward to further experimentation in this area. Very fun!


I think I also hit it right with the combination of tools I used to create this page. I used a watercolor Moleskin sketchbook, my favorite mechanical pencil, 2 black Pitt pens (one small and one brush nib), Daniel Smith watercolor sticks grated with a sharpener into my new palette with the HUGE wells for really juicy puddles. Here is a picture of my set up:


This artistic journey is just so cool! I can’t wait to see what inspires me at tomorrow night’s midnight showing of “RoboGeisha” at the Egyptian. *lol*

No comments:

Post a Comment