Friday, April 12, 2013

Daily Report

Frontispieces are hard. Especially for the first book in the series. You don’t want to give too much away, certainly nothing the reader won’t find anyway early in the book.

I want the frontispiece for each of my books to show a particular character. The frontispiece for Book I will show the heroine of the story. The hero gets his turn in Book II, which is named after him.

Because the frontispiece doesn’t have to illustrate a scene, it’s kind of tough to design. You don’t want your character to look too static (in other words, just stand there.) You do want to give the readers some idea of their personality. This is a bit tough when your heroine is wearing an Eskimo Winter parka.

Thank heavens for my experiences drawing manga. Manga is all about character attitude, even in fur.

I think I’ve got it now though. So far the initial pencil drawing is looking pretty cute. We’ll see if it carries through well to the final pencils later this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment