Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Things to Come



I haven’t spoken much about my new novels thus far. At this point many people know that I’ve been writing them, but not much more than that. Today, as the first draft of Book II is completed, I feel ready to start talking, especially as Book I is now being prepared for market.

So what is this all about? Why have I turned to writing all of a sudden? The truth is that I have been a writer for a very long time, my first published non-fiction article came out in the mid 1980’s. I have been writing fiction for even longer though, having finished my very first novel at 17. Over the years I have written quite a bit of fiction, all Fantasy or Sci-Fi, but these works were never meant for publication, instead being a way for me to create something truly enjoyable for myself.

This changed with the demise of our webcomic, “Privateer Princess” back in 2009. Matt and I knew there’d be a novelization at some point to continue the story but we had some initial confusion over which one of us would write it. As it turned out, I was the one who made it happen, and I am delighted beyond words that I did. What an experience and what a joy!

I make no bones about the fact that my book is a love story, and politely suggest that if you don’t like love stories, you probably won’t like this one. However, if you do… :-)

Mine is not a sedate, drawing room story, it’s an adventure! It takes the characters from one side of the world to the other, out into space, and then back to Earth again. It’s full of elements that I believe all good love stories should have - great challenges, dangerous missions, nasty villains, roguish heroes, and tomboys who are finally learning to wear dresses. The fact that this book also has space pirates, half-alien street gangs, world-conquering alien warlords, and lots of super-powered people living side by side with humans is just the icing on the cake. It’s a story about finding family and the place where you fit into your world. It shows that no matter where you were born (on this planet or any other) love is transcendent and won’t always wait politely for the right moment to be answered. It’s about true love.

So that’s a little bit about the book, a taste of things to come. In the coming days I’ll start talking more about the writing of the book, and some of what makes a good science fiction story to me. But for now, I wish you all a good night and a happy 12/12/12! What an auspicious day to begin writing about a brand new adventure tale.

Love to all...

-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment