Sunday, June 7, 2015

"Lepus and the Ship"

“Lepus and the Ship,” pen & ink, 9” x 14”
Copyright Sara Light-Waller, 2015
For several months I’ve been noodling around with a new children’s book idea called A Patchwork Tale. I’ve written a third of the text in drabble format (linked 100 word mini-stories) and have done several art pieces both studies and more finished works. This is the newest piece, which brings the total number of book pieces up to nine — four color and five pen and ink. So I’m well on my way!

I envision A Patchwork Tale as a grand adventure story modeled after the gift books from the Golden Age of Illustration at the turn of the 20th Century. An ambitious project to be sure, but certainly one to be proud of.

P.S. As a note for pen & ink geeks like myself, many, many years ago I was given a large roll of linen-backed paper with a smooth surface perfect for pen & ink/drafting. Needless to say, I've held onto this gift and used it judiciously, well aware that there "'ain't no more" when I run out. I'm fairly certain that paper like this isn't made any more and even if it is, would be outrageously hard to come by. I used it for this piece and was reminded again of what a fabulous surface it is - moderately hard for the pen strokes, completely non-bleeding, and with the linen backing providing both structure and some give for the marks. Absolutely fabulous stuff! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment