Monday, July 15, 2013

Considering The Kiss


"Under the trees he pressed her to his heart,"
by Marice Lalau.

I have been out of touch here for a little while but here’s the rundown of what’s been happening lately. I have just finished the latest book illustration featuring the main villain. I’m quite happy with it. And with it's completion we draw ever closer to the end of the illustrations!

For the next piece, I’ll be doing the most romantic of all the illustrations - the kiss. Today, I’m looking at classical ways of showing a kiss. Although, nowadays, we have plenty of photo reference for people kissing, an illustration needs to have just the right feeling and the pose needs to be chosen with great care.

To honor this, I present one of my favorite Golden Age illustrators, Maurice Lalau, showing a kiss. This is an illustration from “Tristram and Iseult” that makes me swoon, every single time I see it. I hope you like it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment