Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sketching hounds today

I grew up in Potomac, Maryland, home to the venerable Potomac Hunt. Two out of my first three horses were fox-hunters and although I have not been on a hunt in a very long while, it is difficult to forget the good times and excitement of hunting season.

I remain of fan of hunting art and yesterday was reminded of the late 19th and early 20th artist, Cecil Aldin, an artist famous for his hunting scenes. In his honor, I couldn’t resist doing a page of hound sketches. Unfortunately these are not from life, as I don’t have connections to the hunt down in the Fort Lewis area, but they do bring back memories from my teenage years.

These sketches are a mix of pen & ink and colored pencil on craft paper.

4 comments:

  1. Such sweet sketches! I really like the softness of the colors and whites on colored paper. It makes everything so much livelier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! I love this technique, it gives you so much with so little. :-) Next I need to sketch the rest of the "scene" ie. the horses and riders. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great page! You have a delightful style!

    ReplyDelete