Thursday, January 22, 2015

Painting of the Day

"Brush Jar," 11" x 14" watercolor
Copyright, Sara Light-Waller 2015
A few details about the painting
This stoneware jar has been in my family for as long as I can remember. It's always given me a feeling of solidity and comfort and is one of my favorite things from childhood. The long-handled brushes are the ones I use for acrylics, not watercolor, gouache, or casein. Watermedia brushes typically have short handles and would have been too small to be seen over the edge of the jar.

The painting was done in shades of neutralized yellows to compliment the color of the stoneware, which has a color base of gritty, grey-yellow.

Although I can see flaws in the drawing, I'm pretty happy with the watercolor application. And the brushes do look like brushes, which makes me very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment